We recognise that there are pupils who will have learning difficulties, disabilities or special educational needs which could constrain them from maximum access to the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. These constraints may be one, or a combination of the following: cognitive (e.g. dyslexia), physical/sensory, social/ethnic or emotional/behavioural. They may be temporary or long-term, mild, moderate or occasionally severe in nature.
These pupils will need special consideration and provision.
In making such provision we aim:
- To ensure that all pupils gain access to a broad and balanced curriculum and, through differentiation, have an equal opportunity to receive an education that is appropriate to their needs.
- To provide or arrange for educational screening and identification programmes where appropriate, to ensure early identification of a child’s special needs and an effective assessment of what those needs may be.
- To provide sensitive compensatory support programmes to meet individual needs and improve educational attainment. This will also develop self-confidence, self-motivation and individual responsibility.
- To develop the pupil’s awareness of individual strengths and weaknesses and the ability to meet realistic goals.
- To provide support, advice and resources for form and subject teachers to enable them to recognise, support and monitor these pupils within the classroom.
- To provide training, support and resources for the Head of Learning Support to enable her to fulfil her role effectively and efficiently.
- To develop a partnership with parents in order that their knowledge, views and experience can assist us in assessing and providing for their children and to also help them support their child more effectively at home.
- To assist the parents to understand the nature of the child’s educational needs.
- To take into account the ascertainable wishes of the pupils concerned in order to provide more effectively for them.
- To ensure effective collaboration with the Local Authority (LA) if their services are required, under the Common Assessment Framework.
- To monitor our effectiveness in achieving the above aims, and to ensure that we help girls to achieve more.