In the early days of the Second World War Miss E.M. Trew, Principal of Queenswood School, was asked by residents of the Brookmans Park area if she would take day pupils. In January 1940 a day school for boys and girls was opened at Mymwood, the Queenswood Preparatory House, with Miss Hilda Dyson as Headmistress. By 1944, when Mymwood was again required for Queenswood junior boarders, there were over 50 day pupils, and Stormont was opened on its present site and was “Registered as Efficient”. In 1962 an educational charity was formed and a Council of Management took over the responsibility of running the school.
In 2014 Stormont School celebrated its 70th Anniversary with a very successful Open Afternoon. Current pupils and parents, as well as former pupils from almost every decade returned to visit, as did a number of past colleagues. Three of the four Headmistresses, Miss Fenella Pearson (1964-1993), Mrs Morag Johnston (1993-2013) and Mrs Sharon Martin (2013-) all met up at Prize Giving later that same term.